WattleRangeNow

Local News at Your Fingertips


Beachport Easter Market Day

Bruce & Mary Pettman from Millicent receive eggs from Easter Bunny.

Bruce & Mary Pettman from Millicent receive eggs from Easter Bunny.

by Chezza Chambers

The Beachport Market day was held yesterday (March 30) and co-ordinator Jane Brookshaw said that there were 40 stalls, with stall holders coming from as far away as Adelaide, Mt Gambier, Naracoorte, Penola, and Millicent.

It was a very successful day despite the weather, with lots of stalls selling out.

Jay Chandler from Beachport said that there was a nice selection of stalls and  Deb Knight from Bompas, said that it was a bit slow earlier in the morning but after 9.30am it kicked off with a rush on food and coffees. Jenny Wisby said that she loves the Beachport Market because it is always so well organised and Krystal Prior loves that there are so many stalls and so much room to walk around them.

Celine and her husband Dume are in Beachport to help create a sculpture track which will link Beachport with their home town La Ferte in France. Local artists have been invited to work with them as well as Beachport Primary School Students.

The Beachport Market Day is organised by the Beachport District Development Association (BDDA) and has been going for approximately 15 years, with funds raised being used for community projects, like digitizing the Beachport Cinema.


CEO shares White Ribbon Australia with the UN

Libby Davies - CEO White Ribbon

Libby Davies – CEO White Ribbon

In early March, White Ribbon Australia CEO Libby Davies visited New York for  the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (CSW), which examined the “relentless epidemic of violence against women and girls”.

As the CSW had a strong focus on prevention, Libby had the privilege of providing input into two sessions; a side event organised by the Australian Government and a parallel NGO event organised by UN Women Australia.

Both presentations represented the work of White Ribbon Australia, highlighting developments in prevention in Australia, where White Ribbon is working to change the attitudes and behaviours that perpetuate violence.

“As a participant and discussant in many of the sessions led by other nations committed to ending violence against women, I was continually reminded of the innovative and insightful approach to prevention taking place in Australia and other parts of the world, that embrace cultural relevance and engage with men to bring about change,” Libby said.

“The sharing of global work in this space brought into sharp focus the true essence of diversity and action required to bring about social change. This action must engage with and involve men, and work in collaboration with women as equal owners of and activists for social change.”

The CSW meeting highlighted the innovative work of the Australian White Ribbon Campaign and the interest in this work from other countries. The unique, national male-led campaign in Australia, whilst still in its early stages, has benefited from research by and collaborations with so many actively working in primary prevention to produce a campaign that continues to engage the community and develop depth and breadth.

“The experience of participating in the CSW clearly demonstrated to me that whilst we still have a long way to go we are a long way from where we were ten years ago…”

White Ribbon Australia recognises the deep foundations of the movement embedded in feminist and men’s activist groups committed to engaging with men and boys to bring about change. It was because of this developmental work in Australia in the latter years of the 20th century that White Ribbon became a national campaign in Australia in 2003.

In 2013 we are celebrating 10 years of the White Ribbon Campaign in Australia and hope that many of our Ambassadors and supporters will join with us at our International Conference being held in Sydney from 13-15 May this year at Doltone House in Pyrmont, Sydney.


Triple Zero kids save lives

An updated online game that teaches children how and when to use Triple Zero was launched today with new scenarios and greater accessibility for children with disabilities and special needs.

The Triple Zero Kids Challenge online game was launched by Attorney-General and Minister for Emergency Management Mark Dreyfus QC with the Member for Greenway Michelle Rowland today.

“The Triple Zero Kids Challenge online game is an engaging educational tool for parents and teachers to teach children about the importance of planning for emergencies and learning how to call Triple Zero,” said Mr Dreyfus.

Mr Dreyfus and Ms Rowland were joined Triple Zero Awareness Working Group Chairman, Fire & Rescue NSW Assistant Commissioner Mark Whybro, and other emergency services representatives to launch the upgrade.

Mr Dreyfus said the original ‘Triple Zero Kids’ Challenge’ had been an outstanding success, with more than 750,000 games played and users spending an average 17 minutes on line each session.

“Children make up a significant number of callers to Triple Zero and the website provides a fun way for them to learn about a serious issue.

“The website will help children provide better information to dispatchers and ensure a fast response to emergencies,” said Mr Dreyfus.

“The game teaches them how to describe where an accident has happened and helps reinforce the message that Triple Zero should only be used if there is an actual emergency,” said Ms Rowland.

The game uses colourful interactive animations to teach children about emergencies and how to use the Triple Zero phone number.

The game now has three additional scenarios, making a total of twelve, and has been upgraded to meets the needs of children with disabilities and special needs.

There are a number of posters and information sheets available on the Kids Challenge Website for parents and teachers to assist in lesson planning for children.

More information can be found on the Triple Zero Kids Challenge website http://kids.triplezero.gov.au