“Shopping Food Safely” – Ms Catarina Santos
This Year the Australian Food Safety Week theme is “Shopping Food Safely”– with the focus on transportation and storage of food from supermarket to home.
Council’s Environmental Health Officer, Ms Catarina Santos, explains that the message of this year is focusing on ‘Clean, Choose, Chill and Separate’ when selecting food and transporting it home safely. Ensure to follow the right steps on how to transport your food home safely;
* Keep food cool during transport
* Take your perishable food home as soon as possible
* Use bio-degradable plastic bags for raw meat or chicken so they don’t drip onto other foods
* Don’t use food after its use by date
* Ensure your home refrigerator is operating at 5C or below, and;
* Remember, Keep it cool, is the golden rule!
As part of Wattle Range Council’s promotion of the 2013 Australian Food Safety Week there are limited numbers of free give-aways that promote the key Food Safety messages. Interest members of the community are asked to call into the Millicent Public Library to collect a promotional cooler bag with many great items inside – shopping cooler bags, supper sealer clips, ice bricks and magnetic note pads. For any other additional information, please log on to http://www.health.sa.gov.au/pehs/food-index.htm.
For further information in relation to this press release, please contact Council’s Millicent Office – 8733 0900