On Sunday 27th April 2014 the Millicent Bowling Club installed one of its own to the status of Life Member.
For her dedication to the betterment of bowls, Shirley Buhlmann was nominated for a Life Membership of the Millicent Bowling Club. It is the considered opinion of the membership that this honour is overdue, and was approved at the AGM in April.
Shirley became a member of the MBC in 1976 and for the past 38 years Shirley has made a remarkable contribution to the development of the club we see today.
Shirley is well known for her fair- mindedness and wide knowledge of the game, from Millicent Bowling Club to the National level.
Her most notable personal achievements include 23 Championships, 3 Champion of Champions and 2 Round Robin awards.
She served on the Ladies’ Committee for 13years, holding the position as President for 3 years. During her time on the committee she was very involved in all aspects of fund raising, catering and social activities, as sponsorship for the improvement of the MBC also interested Shirley.
Her sponsorship includes:
- Ladies’ Championship Pairs…..6year’s sponsorship.
- October long weekend tournament…..3 years sponsorship
- And currently joint sponsorship of the Ladies’ Plate.
In the 1980s Shirley was encouraged to widen her field of participation by moving into thecoaching. In 1987 she commenced this involvement, moving up to becoming coach co-ordinator by 2005.
Her involvement in coaching was widespread. This included national, state and regional executive positions. She has recently retired as Millicent’s coach after 27 years of service.
Shirley took a special interest in fostering the love of the game within the local schools and always welcomed new members to the club.
At a national level, Shirley has held the position of umpire for 30 years.
Shirley was heavily involved in the establishment of the present day Ladies’ Pennant Competition. She was the foundation President (1987) and remained in that position for 8 years, serving also as a regional recorder, and locally as a selector for 4 years.
Shirley was the foundation President of the “Ladies’ Past President’s Association” and also served as a secretary to the winter card committee.
Executive positions which Shirley has held:
- S.A.W.B.A. Country councillor Division 1
- S.A.W.B.A. Executive Member Division 1
- S.A.W.B.A. Umpires Panel
- S.A.W.B.A. Coaches Panel
- S.A.W.B.A. House Committee
- A.W.B.C. Level 1 Coach
- A.W.B.C. Level 2 Coach
- A.W.B.C. National Umpire
- S.E.W.B.A. Interclub Pennant Organising Officer
- S.E.W.B.A. Pennant Chairman
- S.E.W.B.A. Past Presidents Assoc. Inaugural President
- Millicent Women’s Bowling Club President
- Millicent Championships
- Singles: 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2005, 2006,2009
- Pairs: 1991, 1993, 1994, 2002, 2006, 2008
- Triples: 1985, 1995, 2001
- Fours: 1985, 1986, 1995, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2009
- S.E.W.B.A. Champion of Champions
- Singles: 1998
- Pairs: 1993
- Triples: 1985