Local News at Your Fingertips

Police will be out in full for footy finals weekend


Police patrols will be out in force from today to ensure a safe journey for all football supporters driving to and from Melbourne for this weekend’s Preliminary Final.

A significant increase in traffic leaving the State heading to Victoria is expected on our major rural roads between Thursday and Monday with Port Adelaide playing Hawthorn at the MCG on Saturday.

The majority of the traffic is expected to leave Adelaide along the South Eastern Freeway then follow the Dukes Highway between Tailem Bend and Bordertown.

Traffic along the Riddoch Highway between Keith to Mt Gambier also expected to increase.

So far this year there have been three fatal crashes on these roads. The Dukes Highway, Riddoch Highway and South Eastern Freeway have all recorded one fatal crash.

Superintendent Bob Fauser from Traffic Support Branch said, “The main aim of the operation this weekend will be to provide a highly visible police presence along major roads heading to Melbourne to ensure a smooth and safe journey for football supporters.

“We will deploy a combination of high visibility marked police cars and plain cars and will undertake vehicle roadworthiness, registration and licence checks.

“A range of speed detection devices will be used in order to catch speeding motorists and enforce the law.

“At many stages along your journey this weekend you can expect to see a police car and our officers using a range of strategies along the route to Melbourne.

“The most important thing is to make sure everyone that drives to Melbourne this weekend returns home safely without incident.”

Fatigue is a major cause of road trauma on rural roads, so police are urging all motorists to take regular rest breaks during the trip.

With the State road toll currently sitting at 63 compared to 74 at this time last year, police will be taking a proactive approach to ensure the safety of all motorists in what will be a busy weekend on our State’s roads.

Comments are closed.